We've been working hard and keeping so busy around here, that we realized a studio slice is long overdue! Here's what we've been up to since last time....
Things have been moving along well with the studio despite the very cold weather, snow, and more snow. We had the last pour of concrete for the floor, even with the cold temperatures outside. A big thank you to Greg for lending us his heater which helped warm up the space and slab so the concrete was able to cure at a nice pace. That final pour covers our in-floor radiant heating. You might have seen Steve's entry on facebook about that job. The poor guy had two very sore fingers after opening and pinching the coil into 763 latch locks. Way to go! We have to wait 28 days to flick the switch and power it up. So, our fingers and toes are crossed that everything will heat up as it should because getting at it to fix anything now will be brutal! Steve has checked the resistance readings, though, and everything looks like its in working order. So now we just have to wait, patiently... Steve can tell you how good I am at waiting. ("She's not." - Steve)
Once the floor cured, we poured a raised concrete pad for the wood fireplace. Regulations call for a rise of 18” from the floor to the door opening, so we got a little creative with a piece of galvanized steel sheeting, packing tape, and wood bracing and created a custom round pedestal perch. It was yet another interesting team building experience for Steve and I. It involved mixing concrete in the shop in a very large bucket, then hand carrying that bucket (full of concrete) to the studio under the cover of darkness, and then dead lifting it up and over, into the steel mold to pour perfectly in place. Yes, I’m glad we won’t be doing that again...until the spring, when we add a concrete fireplace to the yard! (Woohoo)
The guys from Paris Stove Works were total troopers and worked in some awful weather to install the chimney and stack. They got our little wood beauty all hooked up and ready to burn. We are loving it!
Once the fire was burning, the space warmed up and all the humidity from the concrete pour was well on its way to drying up. It wasn't long before the drywall started and is now complete! It just needs a bit of sanding and we’ll be ready for the first coat of primer.
To help circulate that cozy warm heat throughout the studio, Steve and I had another "team building exercise" and installed the 2 ceiling fans.
With all of that accomplished, we are well on our way to opening the studio doors! But, first we need doors....
This week we will be installing the glass doors!!! WOO-HOO, Double WOO-HOO!! We are so excited about getting those in!! Our roller door is waiting and ready for it’s installation as well, and once those are up and off the studio floor we can seal the concrete and then the painting party will begin!
In other news, we've made a bunch of changes to our workshop as well. You won't recognize the place. We have installed the new clean air filtration system up on the ceiling, moved pretty much every piece of equipment around to make for better flow and to make room for some sweet new machines!
We have a new baby in the family! The new Woodmaster 25” planer!We've got several custom pieces happening in the studio and when they are completed we will share them here, so keep an eye out. Until the next slice...keep warm! cheers kim and steve